Preparing to apply for academic jobs
Where to begin?
This post is the first in a series meant to serve as a guide for postdocs applying for academic jobs. This process is quite lonely and isolating, and it should be easier, since lots of us go through it every year. Here, I am trying to compile resources to make life easier for people going forward.
- The Wowchemy website builder for Hugo, along with its starter templates, is designed for professional creators, educators, and teams/organizations - although it can be used to create any kind of site
- The template can be modified and customised to suit your needs. It’s a good platform for anyone looking to take control of their data and online identity whilst having the convenience to start off with a no-code solution (write in Markdown and customize with YAML parameters) and having flexibility to later add even deeper personalization with HTML and CSS
- You can work with all your favourite tools and apps with hundreds of plugins and integrations to speed up your workflows, interact with your readers, and much more
- 👉 Create a new site
- 📚 Personalize your site
- 💬 Chat with the Wowchemy community or Hugo community
- 🐦 Twitter: @wowchemy @GeorgeCushen #MadeWithWowchemy
- 💡 Request a feature or report a bug for Wowchemy
- ⬆️ Updating Wowchemy? View the Update Tutorial and Release Notes
Crowd-funded open-source software
To help us develop this template and software sustainably under the MIT license, we ask all individuals and businesses that use it to help support its ongoing maintenance and development via sponsorship.
As a token of appreciation for sponsoring, you can unlock these awesome rewards and extra features 🦄✨
- Hugo Academic CLI: Automatically import publications from BibTeX
- Page builder - Create anything with widgets and elements
- Edit any type of content - Blog posts, publications, talks, slides, projects, and more!
- Create content in Markdown, Jupyter, or RStudio
- Plugin System - Fully customizable color and font themes
- Display Code and Math - Code highlighting and LaTeX math supported
- Integrations - Google Analytics, Disqus commenting, Maps, Contact Forms, and more!
- Beautiful Site - Simple and refreshing one page design
- Industry-Leading SEO - Help get your website found on search engines and social media
- Media Galleries - Display your images and videos with captions in a customizable gallery
- Mobile Friendly - Look amazing on every screen with a mobile friendly version of your site
- Multi-language - 34+ language packs including English, 中文, and Português
- Multi-user - Each author gets their own profile page
- Privacy Pack - Assists with GDPR
- Stand Out - Bring your site to life with animation, parallax backgrounds, and scroll effects
- One-Click Deployment - No servers. No databases. Only files.
Wowchemy and its templates come with automatic day (light) and night (dark) mode built-in. Alternatively, visitors can choose their preferred mode - click the moon icon in the top right of the Demo to see it in action! Day/night mode can also be disabled by the site admin in
Choose a stunning theme and font for your site. Themes are fully customizable.
Copyright 2016-present George Cushen.
Released under the MIT license.